For my search engine optimization on page SEO review, I am going to use the term Tampa criminal attorney with the example site – The law offices of Michael H. Herron in Tampa, Florida located at http://www.arrestedorinjured.com/. This term I would consider a moderate competitive term with the top 10 websites having moderate inbound links and is typed into Google around 1, ooo times a month that will produce extremely high quality traffic. Currently, the example website is ranked 20th for the term and does offer a level of search engine authority that is better then the overall average of the current top 10 websites that currently rank for the term. With some of my suggestions we should see a top 5+ positioning after performing my suggested attorney search engine optimization tweaks. So let’s do this shall we?
On-Page Keyword Usage For Term Tampa Criminal Attorney
The page that ranks in the top 20 (http://www.arrestedorinjured.com/) really does a below average job on keyword usage. Good news is that it is ranking very well even without the correct law firm SEO applied to it. Let’s start with the title tag.
Attorney SEO – Title Tag
Currently the title is “Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer | Florida Criminal Defense Attorney | Clearwater | St. Petersburg Wrongful Death Attorney Petersburg Wrongful Death Attorney”. Currently the site is breaking the #1 golden rule in SEO which is going for to many keywords on one page. Think of keyword targeting as a homemade soup. To many things makes the soup taste like …. and optimizing for to many law firm related keywords makes a page rank for nothing. My recommendation for the title tag should be – “Tampa Criminal Attorney & Personal Injury Attorney| Michael Herron”.
Body Copy Keyword SEO Usage
This is really where you see why the site is not ranking for Tampa criminal attorney. The term is not use in a “H1″ Heading, in the body copy at all, the URL of the page, is not bolded in the copy (how can it as it is not used in the body copy) and images are not optimized.
Law Firm SEO Suggestions For Tampa Criminal Attorney Term
- Broaden keyword terms in title – take a look at our usage of Google Wonder Wheel. Using terms similar to your term that you want to rank for will give the search engines the right idea for what the page is about:
- The content needs to contain the term Tampa criminal attorney at least 3-4 times. Got to give the search engines the hint to what you want this page to rank for.
- Need to get the exact keyword term in the title tag. You can take a look at my example in the beginning of this post.
- Optimize image names and ALT information with targeted keywords. This Google & Bing Images is my friend!
- Keywords in URL. This is a great place to start prior to writing content. A hard one to accomplish as the home page is the URL that is ranking but it can be done to create a custom page.
- Use of “H1″ Heading. Real important to get your keywords in your headlines especially in the most important one.
- Page title is too long. Should be no more than 65 characters.
- While you have added your top keyword phrase in the content, us bolding or emphasizing to give the search engines an extra push that this is what the site is all about.
- The title tag length is a bit long but really lacks the usage of our example keyword phrase. I suggest – “Free consultation and legal advice from Tampa criminal attorney, Michael Herron; former prosecutor and Gulf War veteran”.
- Remove keywords from keyword tag. Search engines do not read this tag anymore and no real reason to use it.
Current On Page Grade
In it’s current state, I would grade the page a C minus. Again, the page has a solid page two ranking and with just a few Law Firm SEO tweaks this example site can make it into page one results and gain some real qualified traffic.